His strips also indicated the junctions of cross-routes but the only topographical features are villages & important houses. Llanelly & Hafod (Swansea) Copperworks schools, the Rhymney, Dowlais & Neath Abbey Ironworks schools etc.
Three editions of the work, one entitled "Itinerarium Angliae" as a variant from the standard & first edition, "Britannia" appeared in 1675. Sometimes a school in a mining community was maintained partly by fixed annual donations from colliery owners or companies.
The teeth suggest an adult in middle life, and show much evidence of hard wear.
The somewhat flattened character of the back of the skull is an indication that the skull may be that of an individual of the "Beaker" type and a measurement of 150mm or over for the breadth is in harmony with tis view, for it implies at least a sub-brachycephalic condition.
The site is depicted & annotated as "Old Windmill" on OS 25" County Series Map of 1877 with an apparently working windmill some 100m to the south where there are 2 buildings annotated "Windmill" - it's not clear if this is just the name given to the buildings or if there was indeed a working windmill there. During the 18th century, Sir Humphrey Mackworth's Charity School at Neath for his miners' children & Nevill's Free Schools at Llanelly during the early years of the 19th century wre the earliest.
The Windmill acted as a navigation mark for vessels aligning Porthcawl harbour breakwater, Porthcawl Inn & the westenmost extend of the notorious Nash Sands. The second phase (1820-1860) saw the development of the heavy industries which necessitated the sinking of large numbers of new pits to meet the high fuel demands.
A derelict, short upriight tower stands near Mount Pleasant Farm of the edge of an escarpment at an elevation of 307 feet. Such schools were primarily for colliers' children, but, as in other "works" schools, children of other work-people took advantage of such educational facilities provided there were vacancies or "places" in these schools.
This is the remains of a type of primitive, shorter, parallel-sided windmill (similar to ones across the channel in Somerset). The establishment of colliery schools in South Wales followed very closely the various phases of development of coal mining.
Place names & notable buildings can be seen on this section from Aberavon to Cowbridge (A48). The characteristic feature of the industrial evolution of South Wales during the first half of the 19th century was the growth & expansion of the ferrous and non-ferrous metallurgical industries.
in maximum dimensions, the floor of which had been prepared for the body by a layer of oolitic limestone flakes. The removal of the capstone showed the grave to be full of comparatively clean tightly packed soil which revealed no trace on its surface of the remains it contained. The cist was too roughly built to be thoroughly earth-tight.
The coverstone, a large slab of Pennant sandstone, the source of which was probably not more than 2 miles away (I have to thank Dr. This earth was cleared out with some difficulty, care being taken to leave the skeleton as far as possible undisturbed. The earth in the grave contained a number of snail-shells. S., as belonging to two species; Cepaea hortensis (Muller) & Cepaea nemoralis (Linne).
The bulk of the references collected are 12th & 13th century - as they have all been taken from the C. The final phase (from 1860 onwards) was associated with the rapid devleopment of the central Glamorgan coalfield, especially the steam-coal deposits of the Rhondda Valleys (for export purposes). Talbot MP of the Margam Estate (Owner of Bryndu Slip Colliery) started a temporary school in colliery stables, known as Bryndu Works School. Instruction as good as could be carried into effect during the short time the school has been erected; discipline good; methods good.
G., this has been omitted in the record but the page has been given for reference. By 1900, this region had become one of the most densely populated parts of Britain. In the 1860's Brydu School was built at the end of School Road in Kenfig Hill. From the following information which appeared in the National of Library of Wales Journal in 1957, it would appear that Bryndu School in Kenfig Hill was already open a few years before this date as a report on the school was compiled by Mr H. Thanks are due to Major Lewis Rugg for acquainting the Museum with the discovery, to Mr Clements, his foreman at the quarry and to Mr G. Stacey, of Porthcawl for much readily granted help.